Thursday, April 16, 2015

My Current Meal Plan and More on IIFYM

I've had TONS of questions and requests to elaborate on IIFYM and what I eat specifically.

You know what annoys me? There are a lot of big "fitspo" accounts on Instagram who have decided to not share or disclose their current macros, meals, or personalized plans. They claim it's "what works for them" and won't work on everyone else. Well, duh. But some people need a place to start and some kind of reference to get an idea of how to figure out what works for them. I did! So, I won't be one of those snobby people who say, "figure it out on your own because I did that for myself." I'll give details on where I started, where I went wrong, and any revelation in between. If you're reading this, you probably want an idea of where to start and instructions on how to adjust it for your body. I'll provide all I can and know.

I've tried many "diets" as listed in previous posts. I stand firm on the effectiveness of IIFYM and its maintainability and flexibility.  It's the only meal plan where I don't have these cravings that take over any reasonable thought resulting in blackouts that end in an empty gallon container of Panda Express lo mein and an empty 50 oz cup of Dr. Pepper. It's the only meal plan where I can LITERALLY find something to eat anywhere, at any occasion, with anyone. It's the only meal plan that gave me energy. Finally, it's the only meal plan that I can easily picture myself sticking to...well, forever!

Brief overview. What matters on IIFYM is protein, carbs, fats, and fiber. All of these are tracked in My Fitness Pal (a free app). If you're looking for something where you don't have to log your food, then a restrictive food list is your best bet. Have fun on that. Yes, logging gets old, but you can't keep track of everything you eat and your numbers without it. After time, you will reach your goals and want to maintain. By then, you will have a better idea of what your daily routines, meals, and snacks look like and can break away from logging. Until then, this is your best option. Plus, you would blow an aneurysm over the amount of carbs in some foods that you don't think are that bad.

Go to iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ for your initial numbers. My starting numbers won't be applicable to you because it's based on my time in the gym and goals.

Want more muscle gain? Increase your protein numbers
Want a little more energy or feeling of fullness throughout the day? Increase your carbs
Not seeing any weight loss or decrease in measurements after a week or two? Decrease carbs
Not really wanting to gain that much muscle? (crazy talk) Lower protein
Feeling a little bloated? Decrease fats
Love bacon? Increase fats

Just try some numbers for a couple of weeks and use those questions to guide you in adjusting them for your needs. Yes, lower carbs will most likely result in quicker weight loss or decreasing measurements. ASK YOURSELF, "Is this sustainable?" If you have wicked cravings on your amount of carbs or feel so tired and weak that you can't make it to the gym when you want, or want to binge, it's not worth it. Take the slower progress with more sustainability. I promise it will pay off in the end.

My 6 month 20 lb weight loss looked like this: (yes, 6 months) with 5 days of lifting a week

80g P/80g C/30g F for about 4 weeks.
-Felt weak and tired. Bad cravings. Lost about 4/5 lbs.
90g P/100g C/35gF
-Felt a little better. Weight loss slowed a bit. Still saw progress. 3 weeks=2-3 lbs lost.
100g P/ 120g C/ 40g F
-More bacon! Weight loss plateaued a week or two. Still saw progress. 2 weeks=1 lb lost.
110g P/130g C/ 40g F
-So much chicken, but growing muscles! A few more snacks=more energy. 2/3 weeks=1-2 lbs lost.

So on and so forth. You get the idea. If any increase results in weight gain (over a couple of weeks, not days), then drop it back down or fill your numbers with cleaner foods (carrots, almonds, grapes, lara bars over a candy bar or a doughnut). If that number is unsustainable, then increase your activity level with the same numbers. Weightlifting and being in the gym 5 days a week is a massive contributor to the success I've had on IIFYM as well as increasing your metabolism.

I did this for 6 months and am sitting at a happy 120g P/ 175-190g C / 50-60g F. I'm maintaining my 20 lb weight loss, have tons of energy, squeeze in a doughnut here and there, and can sustain this way of eating easily. A very important thing you need to know is that YOU WILL PLATEAU. Throughout the 6 months, I would go 3-4 weeks sometimes at the same number. I would think, "Well, this is it. No more food increases for me." But, I would stick to it (EVEN ON THE WEEKENDS!!), and sure enough the weight and size would drop a couple of pounds and inches after what seemed like an eternity.

Consistency is the most most most most most important aspect of IIFYM. No weekend binges, no 350g Carb days. Consistent all the time. If your numbers aren't sustainable, increase them or fill them with healthier foods. Pick a range that you can stick with for awhile.

Plateaus will happen. Number 1 saying that stuck with me: Trust the Process. Just. Keep. Going.

Measure! There were weeks where the scale wouldn't budge, but my inches would fall off. Buy a $1 tape measure and measure your:
-Thigh
-Waist (at belly button)
-Hips (at widest part)
Not only weigh, but measure every 4 weeks.

Stay consistent in the gym. Building muscle increases your metabolism like crazy, allowing you to increase your numbers like I did over time. Even if it's just 3 days a week, lift HEAVY. Make that time COUNT.

Drink TONS of water. I bought a 1/2 gallon jug at Complete Nutrition. That thing goes with me everywhere. I drink 2 a day CONSISTENTLY. 1 gallon a day helps with many many things such as any water retention. Buy an over-sized best friend water bottle, and never part with it.

Lastly, a summary of what my daily nutrition looks like:

Breakfast: 6 a.m. (should be biggest meal)
-2 eggs
-2 bacon
-bowl of Organic Maple and Spice oatmeal
-Coffee with creamer (gasp! You don't have to part with it!)

Morning snack: 9 a.m.
-1 halo
-handful of cocoa almonds

Lunch: 12 noon
-always a protein: chicken, steak, tuna, tilapia, pork, you name it. (not covered in all sorts of dressings because you have to log those and they are wasted macros in my opinion)
-always a veggie: broccoli, asparagus, green beans are my usual
-brown or jasmine rice (1/4 cup because I would rather use my carbs in snacks before my evening workout or in my huge breakfast).
-Sometimes a corn tortilla (I cut out wheat for stomach issues).

Dessert:
-Lara bar

Preworkout: 4 p.m.
-Banana

Dinner: 7/8 p.m.
-protein
-veggie
-any carbs I have left over

Dessert:
-Fudge pop

This is not everyday, and is commonly sprinkled with a mini bag of m&m's, an extra fruit, an extra cup of coffee with creamer, whatever. Just logging and sticking with my numbers. The lack of restrictions is so freeing.

The main thing I would do if you are not seeing results is to clean up the food you are filling your macros with. 2 people can be at 100g P/ 120g C/ 40g F, but if one fills their macros with a burger, a couple pieces of candy, and 1 soda, while the other fills theirs with lean proteins, fruit, veggies, and nuts- you can guess who will see tremendous changes even though their numbers are identical each day. I've gotten to the point where if I want to lean out just a little more, I don't drop my carbs, I fill my carbs with healthier foods. The treats are to help with cravings and should not be a staple in your diet. You will also feel way better with cleaner foods.

Fiber is important to help digest all the fruits and veggies and protein. I aim for 20g a day. If you can't get there, take a fiber supplement.

If you want to plan on eating a bigger meal with a large amount of carbs for an occasion or just because, adjust your meals for the rest of that day to fit in the meal. Let go of the idea of "cheat meals." We no longer "cheat" because we are not on a "diet." Friends going out for burgers and fries for dinner? Choose a no bun option with a kids fries, or eat low carb and low fat the majority of the day (with healthy foods!) to fit that burger and fries into your daily macros. I've personally had more success with large breakfasts, medium lunches, and smaller dinners.

If you have any requests on topics you would like me to cover, please comment! I'd love any input and hope this helps a little! I feel like it was random and all over the place, but hopefully it answered some questions!

***EDIT*** To see your grams on the app:
-Click on "Diary" at the bottom where your food is listed for the day.
-Click on "Nutrition" with the Pie Chart
-On the "Calorie Breakdown" blue bar, click on the lines icon next to the pie chart icon.
This lists much more than just your Protein, Carbs, and Fats...but I only pay attention to those 3 plus Fiber.



3 comments:

  1. I was excited about this post like a little kid! But.... I still have questions-- how do you measure all your P,C,And Fs?? Especially when you are not at home. I use fitness app to log in my calories but I just saw the grams info .. But l still want a little more clarity on how I can measure all those grams!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about a scale? All the grams are already in the app and calculated based on your portion size. Say I have brown rice for lunch...I type in "brown rice" under the Lunch category and select the brand I'm eating. Then when it asks portion size, I guestimate 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or 1 cup...however much I'm eating. Then it has the grams calculated for you. (I usually eat 1/2 cup rice which always automatically calculates out to around 21g carbs, and My fitness pal adds it to my total for the day). Does that answer your question?

      Delete
  2. Yes, it does :)! Sorry I was multi tasking and half typed my thoughts. After reading a few articles on IIFYM I was under the impression that I had to carry a scale around with me :P. But I think I'm getting a hang of it now. It's now as hard as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete